Massachusetts General Hospital
A research engineer is sought to support the development of new optical imaging systems and probes being developed by the Tearney Lab for research and clinical applications through all development phases, including design, prototyping, fabrication, validation, utilization, and maintenance. Highly desired qualities are creativity, attention to detail, and experience with biomedical optics. The engineer will participate on multiple projects, and assist in the design and fabrication of optical, mechanical, and electronic components in new devices, reviewing and documenting the manufacturing process for in-production devices, and troubleshooting the performance of existing systems. Example projects include the design and assembly of a fiber optic rotary junction for high resolution optical coherence tomography (OCT), fabrication of miniature optical assemblies for endoscopic probes, and production of application-specific customized electronic circuits.
- Design new optical, mechanical, and electronic components and systems.
- Produce prototypes of new optical, mechanical, and electronic components and systems.
- Document new and existing parts and procedures to facilitate manufacturing.
- Validate the conformance of components and systems to specifications.
- Troubleshoot and take corrective action for components and systems not meeting specifications.
- Perform other related duties as required.
- Skill in management of engineering projects and/or personnel
- Ability to work in an interdisciplinary team of scientist, engineers and medical doctors
- Ability to diagnose and solve technical and/or system problems of moderate complexity
- Knowledge of optical, electronic, mechanical and/or computer engineering design and applications’ principles
- Computer literacy to the level of at least word processing, spreadsheets, databases, graphics, statistics, engineering tools and programming
- Experience using CAD tools (e.g., Solidworks)
- Skill in technical writing
- Experience using fabrication tools (e.g. mill, lathe, 3D printer, polisher)
Qualification & Experience:
- BS in Engineering or related technical field required.
- Minimum of 1-2 years of experience in device engineering in a hospital, industry or academic setting required.
- Experience in medical engineering desired.
Company: Massachusetts General Hospital
Vacancy Type: Full Time
Job Location: Boston, MA, US
Application Deadline: N/A