Massachusetts General Hospital
Will be responsible for design and fabrication of optical systems developed by the Tearney research group in the Wellman Center for Photomedicine. Participate as a member of a research and development team to develop pre-clinical or clinical systems and devices. May lead or participate in the development of optical design, electronic board design, hardware and software design. Ensure that device testing is performed and system documentation is completed. Educate medical and other technical personnel at the level of basic theory of system operation and including development of educational programs. Lead quality improvement activities, suggests innovative solutions to technical problems. May lead a team comprised of other engineers or technicians.
- Manage research and development projects using industry standard design control processes.
- Design, fabrication and testing of optical and opto-mechanical systems; detectors and electrical circuits.
- Develop and implement data acquisition, instrument control, and user interface software.
- Provide technical support for existing optical imaging instruments.
- Provide supporting technical documentation for optical systems, devices and subsystems.
- Ensure that clinical devices assigned to team receive appropriate safety and functional testing, preventive maintenance and service; assure the quality and timeliness of repair and testing of equipment and assure the thoroughness, accuracy and organization of service records.
- Assist in capital equipment purchases and preparation of budgets.
- Develop protocols and procedures for the use, maintenance, and testing of equipment.
- Manage and participate in educational programs for clinical and technical staff including to level of engineering theory.
- Evaluate safety and efficacy of medical devices. Investigate cost-effectiveness of alternatives to current technologies.
- Maintain knowledge of and advise hospital personnel of codes and regulations regarding clinical devices and support facilities.
- Perform other related duties as required.
- Skill in management of engineering projects and/or personnel
- Ability to work in an interdisciplinary team of scientist, engineers and medical doctors
- Ability to diagnose and solve technical and/or system problems of moderate complexity
- Knowledge of optical, electronic, mechanical and/or computer engineering design and applications’ principles
- Computer literacy to the level of at least word processing, spreadsheets, databases, graphics, statistics, engineering tools and programming
- Demonstrated expertise in Matlab, LabView, image processing and optical design software
- Human relations and interpersonal skills of a level as necessary to interact with a research team in a complex environment under general direction.
- Skill in technical writing
- Skill in technical presentation and teaching
Qualification & Experience:
- BS in Engineering required
- MS in Biomedical, Electrical Engineering or closely related field strongly preferred
Company: Massachusetts General Hospital
Vacancy Type: Full Time
Job Location: Boston, MA, US
Application Deadline: N/A