Website Peace Corps
The Country Director (CD) is the senior Peace Corps representative in the country of assignment. The position will be located in one of the countries under Peace Corps’ geographic region of operations: Africa (AF), Europe, Mediterranean and Asia (EMA), and Inter-America and the Pacific (IAP).
- Represents and advocates for the goals and activities of Peace Corps with host country government officials, local private and not-for-profit entities, the U.S. Embassy and other government agencies. With host-country partners, develops a vision for the country program and a plan for achieving the vision.
- Provides expert leadership and management over institutional policies and procedures to ensure Volunteer safety and security. This encompasses, but is not limited to, promoting Volunteers’ training and ability to assess and ensure their personal safety; responding to natural or man-made disasters; mitigating the potential threat of political unrest; and supporting the Agency’s response to Volunteer victims of crime, such as physical and sexual assault, theft, among others.
- Ensures quality project design, training, implementation and evaluation in all areas, making certain that projects address capacity building and sustainability, are in alignment with Peace Corps guidance, and are responsive to host country development priorities.
- Oversees operations and staff in functional areas that include: volunteer support; program, training and evaluation; administration, logistics and financial management; medical services, safety and security; and representation.
- Establishes criteria and oversees program management issues affecting Volunteer personal safety and security, site identification and monitoring, cultural sensitivity for host country people and culture, and other issues affecting Volunteers’ successful service and Peace Corps’ reputation.
- Determines budgetary, facility, equipment, staffing and volunteer requirements. Provides leadership and oversight to ensure that projects are responsive to host country development needs and are consistent with Peace Corps philosophy and Volunteer resources.
- Plans, directs and oversees all aspects of strategic, policy, organizational, and program objectives in the country of assignment.
- Ensures that the country operations create a safe and productive environment for Trainees and Volunteers and staff to work successfully and perform their duties and responsibilities.
- In coordination with the Office of Health Services, oversees a comprehensive medical care program that supports Volunteers with their health care needs.
- Negotiates, approves and executes the cooperating agreements between the Peace Corps and host country partner agencies, in consultation with the Office of General Counsel.
- All Federal employees are required to have federal salary payments made by direct deposit to a financial institution of their choosing.
- Position serves at the discretion of the Peace Corps Director.
- This is not a bargaining unit position.
- Applicants must be U.S. citizens.
- COVID-19 vaccination required per EO 14043. (See Additional Information section)
- This job has been identified as a testing designated position under our Drug-Free Workplace Program. Therefore, you must satisfactorily complete a drug test prior to being hired. As an employee, you will be subject to random drug testing.
- This position requires the filing of a Financial Disclosure report.
- Applicants must successfully complete a background security investigation with favorable adjudication. Failure to successfully meet this requirement will be grounds for employment termination.
Company: Peace Corps
Vacancy Type: Full Time
Job Location: Washington, DC, US
Application Deadline: N/A