Website Massachusetts General Hospital
Under the supervision and direction of staff of the Orthopaedic Pediatric and Spine Service, and in accordance with the rules and regulations of Massachusetts governing NP practices, the Nurse Practitioner (NP) will be responsible for the care of patients in this practice. The NP will coordinate and perform preoperative assessments, coordinate treatment and assist in the management of postoperative care. The NP will obtain patient histories, perform comprehensive physical examinations to evaluate patients for surgery and for post-surgical readmission, coordinate tests and consultations, implement treatment plans, communicate with referring physicians and perform patient education.
- Presents preoperative patients at team meetings.
- Identifies patients requiring preoperative nutritional assessments.
- Communicates/coordinates with Pre-Admission Testing Area, surgical scheduling areas and nursing units.
- Communicates any abnormal findings to chief resident or attending surgeons for inpatients and to attending surgeon for outpatients.
- Tracks and obtains radiographic studies required preoperatively for patients.
- Performs initial interview and assessment of patient.
- Assists in preoperative evaluation and education. Obtains a detailed, accurate medical history and performs a comprehensive physical examination on patients to assess readiness for surgery.
- Reviews diagnostic data and verifies laterality.
- Obtains preoperative surgical consents.
- Performs preoperative preparation of patients and reinforces information presented by the attending physician to the patient and/or family as necessary. Orders necessary diagnostic tests, consultations, and procedures as indicated or requested by the attending physician. Prescribes medications as necessary.
- Eligible for state and federally controlled substances registration.
- Diagnose and treat health problems; obtain patient histories, perform comprehensive physical exams, do simple diagnostic tests, prepare a diagnosis and implement treatment procedures for illnesses; and prescribe medications.
- Possess the maturity, self-confidence, and ability to follow complex patient management plans as directed by the attending surgeon.
Qualification & Experience:
- Experience in managing orthopaedic patients preferred.
- Participates in Department of Orthopaedic educational meetings with students and residents assigned to the Orthopaedic Pediatric and Spine Service.
Company: Massachusetts General Hospital
Vacancy Type: Full Time
Job Location: Boston, MA, US
Application Deadline: N/A