Website Jet Propulsion Laboratory
This unique opportunity is part of the Additive Manufacturing Center and Sheet Metal Fabrication Group, which produces highly complex prototype and flight parts for JPL’s spacecraft missions.
- Hands on operation of Additive Manufacturing (AM) machines.
- Utilize multiple modules in the Oracle Discrete Manufacturing suite of programs, to develop the implementation plan for the work, estimate
- WIP, the technical progress of the work and resolve any technical, cost or schedule issues as they arise.
- Evaluate the latest advancements in AM; assess the machines and process standards for both polymers and metals suitable for JPL applications.
- Perform analysis, characterization, simulation, test and/or verification of AM hardware.
- Support the process of locating, evaluating, and establishing new vendors as a laboratory resource for AM fabrication.
- Participate in “Make or Buy” decisions and provide oversight for selected vendors.
- Advise on materials, machines and process parameters to build parts that meet flight and non-flight specifications.
- Collaborate with cognizant engineers/scientists to develop and recommend design modifications for AM.
- Perform materials characterization to determine mechanical, chemical, thermal and/or optical properties of AM materials.
- Excellent verbal and written communication, computer skills and be able to work independently with minimal supervision.
- Proficient in using the Magics and other software focusing on design for AM and build-file preparation.
- Process knowledge for metal AM to make successful builds in titanium alloys.
- Proficient in using engineering and analysis tools and software, i.e. UG/NX or other CAD tools (Pro/E, Solidworks, nTopology).
- Ability to collaborate effectively with engineers/customers concerning feasibility, design, and evaluation of complex hardware.
- Knowledge and application of post printing processes for metal 3D printed parts, such as heat treatment schedules, surface finishing, and powder removal.
Qualification & Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree in Materials Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, or related technical discipline with typically a minimum of 3 years of related experience or a Master’s degree in similar disciplines with a minimum of 1 years of related experience or a PhD with 0 years of related experience.
- Experience in Design for Additive Manufacturing (DFAM)
- Experience in operating Laser Powder Bed Fusion (LPBF) machines.
Company: Jet Propulsion Laboratory
Vacancy Type: Full Time
Job Location: Pasadena, CA, US
Application Deadline: N/A