Website Jet Propulsion Laboratory
Members of this team investigate, plan, design and develop robotic hardware for a wide variety of applications and environments. Robots developed by this team are designed operate from the ice expanses of the Arctic to the crushing depths of Earth’s oceans; from the hellish conditions of Venus, to Mars, to the frozen moons of Enceladus and Europa. Teams apply research to the planning, design, development, and testing of mechanical and/or electromechanical systems for mobility, manipulation, and climbing; sensors; instruments; and controls.
- Recently completed coursework providing an understanding and application of standard principles, theories, concepts and techniques in mechanical systems including structures, configuration, mechanisms, structural analysis, and integration and test.
- Knowledge in one or more of the following areas: mechanical design, robotics, controls, electronics, computer engineering, computer aided design (CAD) and mechanical analysis tool (FEA).
- Relevant internship experience.
- General knowledge of applicable industry and/or academic practices and standards in mechanical design.
- Ability to solve mechanical design problems, perform trade studies, develop design requirements, perform piece part design, and coordinate fabrication, assembly, and qualification of hardware.
- Experience with computer aided design and drafting, and spacecraft flight hardware development and test. Working knowledge of SolidWorks.
- Demonstrated leadership abilities.
- Good verbal and written communications skills with ability to work in a team environment.
Qualification & Experience:
- Must be currently enrolled in a college or university pursuing a bachelors, masters, or PhD in Mechanical Engineering, Aerospace Engineering, Physics, Robotics, or related technical discipline. Must be enrolled full time in school following the fall or spring term.
- Experience working with robots through education, hobbies, teams, and/or clubs.
- Must be available to work full-time for approximately 4-6 months as a co-op starting in the summer of 2020 (June – December).
- Must have a minimum cumulative 3.0 out of a 4.0 GPA
Company: Jet Propulsion Laboratory
Vacancy Type: Full Time
Job Location: Pasadena, CA, US
Application Deadline: N/A