Website United States Department of Defense
You will serve as a SHEET METAL WORKER in the DEPARTMENT OF NAVY to include work sites of Portsmouth Naval Shipyard, Puget Sound Naval Shipyard, Norfolk Naval Shipyard, Trident Repair Facility, Bangor, Trident Refit Facility, Kings Bay, and Pearl Harbor Naval Shipyard and Intermediate Maintenance Facility.
- You will climb, bend, stoop, crawl, stand on concreate or metal surfaces, and work in confirned spaces for prolonged periods while handling loads required for the job.
- You will use measuring instruments such as pocket rules, hook rules, flexible and semi-flexible rules, compasses and other hand measuring plans and patterns.
- You will operate hand and power driven brakes, saws, punches, rivet guns, shears, nibblers, rolls, and spot welders.
- You will cut, punch, sand, grind, drill, bend, notch, shape and indent sheet metal.
- You will need skill and knowledge of sheet metal work in order to select the proper materials, tools, and manufacturing process for the product being removed, modified, repaired, install, or manufactured.
- You will need skill in the disassembly or reassembly of parts, subassemblies, and larger components of sheet metal projects.
- You will be able to use the principles of parallel and radial developent to lay-out simple sheet metal items, sucha as rectangular vents and elbows, round vet and elbows, and cones.
- You will interpret blue prints, sketches, job orders, and verbal instruction, they will reinstall, lay-out, modify, and install sheet metal items and systems.
- You will utilize information from patterns, sketches, plans, drawings, engineering instruction, process instructions, and job orders to manufacture, modify, assemble, and repair furniture, ventilation systems, and other metal articicles.
- Must be a US Citizen.
- Must be determined suitable for federal employment.
- Must participate in the direct deposit pay program.
- New employees to the Department of the Navy will be required to successfully pass the E-Verify employment verification check. To learn more about E-Verify, including your rights and responsibilities, visit e-verify.gov
- Males born after 12-31-59 must be registered for Selective Service.
- A relocation incentive is generally a single payment intended to offset some of the relocation costs experienced by the selectee. A relocation incentive may be authorized.
- This may be a bargaining unit position.
- You may be required to successfully complete a pre-appointment physical examination.
- You will be required to obtain and maintain an interim and/or final security clearance prior to entrance on duty. Failure to obtain and maintain the required level of clearance may result in the withdrawal of a job offer or removal.
- This may be a Drug Testing position. If so, successful completion of a pre-employment drug test (including marijuana) is required.
- A tentative offer of employment will be rescinded if you fail to report to the drug test appointment or pass the test. You will be subject to random drug testing.
- You may be required to wear personal protective equipment such as helmets, gloves, coveralls, glasses, goggles, respirators and safety shoes continuously for the duration of the work shift.
Qualification & Experience:
- Although a specific length of time and experience is not required for most trade and labor occupations, you must show through experience and training that you possess the quality level of knowledge and skill necessary to perform the duties of the position at the level for which you are applying. Qualification requirements emphasis is on quality of experience, not necessarily the length of time.
- Your qualifications will be evaluated on the basis of your level of knowledge, skills, abilities and/or competencies in the job elements and screen out listed below.
- Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., professional, philanthropic, religious, spiritual, community, student, social).
- Volunteer work helps build critical competencies, knowledge, and skills and can provide valuable training and experience that translates directly to paid employment.
Company: United States Department of Defense
Vacancy Type: Full Time
Job Location: Fort Hood, TX, US
Application Deadline: N/A