Friday , March 1 2024

Clinical Pharmacist Emergency Medicine – MGH Careers

Website Massachusetts General Hospital

Job Description:

Clinical Pharmacists assume responsibility and accountability for the provision of safe, effective, and prompt medication therapy. Clinical Pharmacists proficiently provide direct patient-centered care and integrated pharmacy operational services in a decentralized practice setting with physicians, nurses, and other hospital personnel to deliver optimal medication therapy to patients with a broad range of disease states. These clinicians are aligned with target interdisciplinary programs and specialty services to deliver medication therapy management within specialty patient care services and to ensure pharmaceutical care programs are appropriately integrated throughout the institution. Pharmaceutical care services include but are not limited to assessing patient needs, incorporating age and disease specific characteristics into drug therapy and patient education, adjusting care according to patient response, and providing clinical interventions to detect, mitigate, and prevent medication adverse events. Clinical Pharmacists serve as a departmental resources and liaisons to other departments, hospital personnel, or external groups. They proficiently manage and facilitate the appropriate use of medications according to professional and regulatory standards. They also conduct clinical research and practice advancement projects as well as patient care quality and regulatory compliance initiatives designed to improve medication-use processes or pharmacy practice. Clinical Pharmacists provide medication and practice-related education/training and actively serve as preceptors for pharmacy residents and Doctor of Pharmacy students. This position is primarily based in the Emergency Department and will serve as a float to cover day evening and overnight shifts in the ED. Approximately 75% of time will be dedicated to the ED, with the other 25% supporting the ED observation unit.

Job Responsibilities:

  • Implements stewardship activities and restriction/surveillance programs
  • Tracks and evaluates assigned pharmacy programs for operational, quality, and financial efficiency
  • Actively identifies and reports short- and long-term obstacles to patient care and medication safety, regulatory compliance, or stewardship or resources
  • Assures pharmacy is an integral part of the health-care delivery system and facilitates enhancement and expansion of pharmacy services/programs
  • Implements new pharmacy programs, quality improvement changes, and continuous quality assurance initiatives to advance the organization’s medication-use systems and promote optimal patient outcomes
  • Facilitates pharmaceutical care services, direct patient care programs, medication utilization systems within assigned services and care areas to assure drug utilization activities are aligned with patient care needs, evidence-based best practices, and regulatory standards

Job Requirements:

  • Strong written and verbal communication skills.
  • Knowledge and understanding of general hospital operations and regulatory compliance.
  • Ability to interact constructively with supervisors, peers, and support personnel.
  • Significant knowledge and expertise in advanced pharmacy practice, specialty medication therapy management, and specialty evidence-based medicine in area appropriate for clinical assignments.
  • Knowledge of contemporary hospital/clinical practice and service
  • Significant general clinical knowledge and expertise in traditional therapeutics and patient centered care.
  • Strong teaching and precepting skills and expertise in experiential training.
  • Ability to integrate clinical and distributive pharmacy services with quality improvement, teaching, research, and professional development activities.

Qualification & Experience:

  • Graduate of an ACPE accredited college of pharmacy required.
  • Clinical pharmacy experience (2-4 years) in a hospital setting preferred (required if no PGY2 residency).
  • Exceptional aptitude or knowledge may be considered in lieu of experience. Extensive clinical experience and development may be considered in lieu of formal training.
  • Doctor of Pharmacy or other advanced degree highly preferred.
  • Completion of ASHP accredited PGY1 Pharmacy Residency required and PGY2 Specialty Pharmacy Residency in Emergency Medicine.

Job Details:

Company: Massachusetts General Hospital

Vacancy Type:  Full Time

Job Location: Boston, MA, US

Application Deadline: N/A

Apply Here

careersvite.com