Website City of Long Beach
Plans, supervises, schedules, coordinates, and participates in the installation, calibration, troubleshooting, testing, maintenance, and repair of complex, electrical electronic and mechanical instrumentation and control systems, equipment, and facilities, including the Water Department’s SCADA system.
- Plans, organizes, directs and evaluates the performance of assigned staff; establishes performance requirements and personal development targets; regularly monitors performance and provides coaching for performance improvement and development; takes disciplinary action, up to and including termination, to address performance deficiencies, in accordance with Department rules, policies and labor contract provisions.
- Supervise employees engaged in constructing, installing, maintaining, testing, and repairing electrical and telemetry equipment, high voltage, low voltage panels, switches, motors, controls, power output frequency regulators, solenoids, telemetry, valves, flow meters, level transmitters, analyzers, automated control valves (ACVs), voltage controls, low cut-out alarms, geothermal couplers, relays, low voltage signal loops and isolators, electronic controls, electronically automated systems, measurement systems, chemical dosing control systems, and other related equipment and apparatus.
- Tests, troubleshoots, diagnosis, repairs, and performs preventative maintenance on a variety of electronic equipment, instrumentation control systems, Programmable Logic Controllers (PLC), Distributed Control Systems (DCS), components and devices associated with the Supervisory Control and Data Acquisition (SCADA) system at multiple facilities operated by the Department including water treatment plant and distribution system, reclaim distribution system and waste water collection system;
- Knowledge of principles, theory, and practices of electricity, electronics, pneumatics, hydraulics, and mechanics as they apply to maintenance and repair of equipment and instruments commonly found in water and wastewater system.
- Knowledge of mid-level computer operation skills, including word processing, database programs, spreadsheets, electronic mail, department utilized software application programs, and SCADA operation.
- Knowledge of PLC ladder logic, PLC and SCADA programming theory at an advanced level.
- Knowledge of supervisory principles and practices.
- Ability to read and interprets blueprints, schematics, PLC ladder logic, P&ID drawings, operating and maintenance manuals and software to aid in troubleshooting and/or installing instrumentation, control systems, and electrical equipment.
- Knowledge of practices, methods, techniques, tools, and equipment used in the design, installation, testing, calibration, maintenance and repair of industrial electrical and mechanical instrumentation and control equipment and devices common to water and wastewater systems.
- Ability to plan, organize, schedule, and monitor work for efficiency, quality, and timeliness.
- Ability to test, diagnose, correct, calibrate and repair a wide variety of electrical and electronic instrumentation devices, motors, machinery and equipment common to the water and wastewater system.
- Knowledge of full range of electrical and computer programming skills and familiarity with water hydraulics, pneumatic, electrical and mechanical equipment and systems and be skilled in the use of precision measurement devices.
- Knowledge of the National Electric Code, OSHA safe practices, and ISA standards.
Qualification & Experience:
- Screening of applicants will be conducted on the basis of application and required supplemental application submitted. This selection procedure will be conducted using a non-competitive process, which means applications are evaluated based on training, experience, education, or certification. All applicants meeting minimum qualifications will be placed on an eligible list.
- Applicants receiving Veteran’s Credit will be placed on the eligible list first and then in the order in which applications were filed.
- The resulting eligible list will remain in effect for at least one year. Based on the number of applications accepted, the selection procedure may be changed. In the event of the need to revise the selection procedure, those affected will be notified of the details at a later date.
Company: City of Long Beach
Vacancy Type: Full Time
Job Functions: Other
Job Location: San Francisco, CA, US
Application Deadline: N/A