Website City of Long Beach
Reporting to the City Controller, the Accounting Management Officer (in the classification of Special Projects Officer) is responsible for special projects including preparation of the indirect cost plan, oversight of Tidelands accounting and financial reporting, and the development and presentation of training materials to City Departments on various financial topics.
- Develops and updates written financial policies and procedures.
- Assists in the accounting and financial reporting of Tidelands funds including monitoring compliance with lease agreements and other regulations.
- Participates in the development, monitoring and reporting of the bureau budget.
- Selects, trains, mentors and evaluates accounting bureau staff; plans, directs, coordinates and reviews the work plan for staff.
- Prepares and coordinates training on a city-wide basis that includes various financial and accounting topics, including grant accounting and internal controls.
- Coordinates and participates in the preparation of the indirect cost allocation plan and related cost allocation charges to funds and departments.
- Supervises the Accounts Payable function to ensure sales tax compliance, issuance of 1099s, and accurate accounts payable and vendor records.
- May assist with the preparation of the Comprehensive Annual Financial Report.
- Strategic thinker and problem solver.
- Ability to develop training materials, prepare slide presentations, and conduct the subsequent training sessions.
- Strong leadership and management skills
- Ability to work effectively with all levels of management and non-management.
- Ability to clearly communicate information and ideas in writing for drafting technical reports and general business correspondence.
- Excellent verbal, written, and interpersonal communication skills.
- Strong level of integrity & ethics; good judgment.
Qualification & Experience:
- Knowledge and experience of governmental accounting and auditing.
- Master’s in Business Administration (MBA) or Certified Public Accountant (CPA).
- Five (5) years of progressively responsible experience in financial management including experience in accounting, and at least three (3) years of supervisory responsibilities.
- Graduation from an accredited college or university, with a bachelor’s degree in accounting, finance, business administration, or a closely related field.
- Background working in the public sector for a city, county, state, or special district.
- Knowledge of principles, procedures and techniques of accounting; knowledge of applicable business practices, administration, and internal controls; experience with interpreting and applying federal and state regulations.
- Project management experience similar to managing an organization’s annual audit and annual financial reports.
Company: City of Long Beach
Vacancy Type: Full Time
Job Functions: Other
Job Location: San Francisco, CA, US
Application Deadline: N/A