Interested in joining the IP Investments team as a Principal? You will be responsible for all aspects of an investment cycle and collaborate with a variety of BDC colleagues, mainly the Technology Financing, Growth and Transition Capital (GTC), Venture Capital (VC) and BDC Advisory Services teammates to ensure delivery of the appropriate BDC activities and offerings.
- Recommend new investment policies, guidelines, procedures and evolve existing ones, while guiding the team in complying with BDC practices
- Participate in the development of the fund’s business plan detailing strategies, objectives and action plans for IP-Backed Financing on an annual basis and in a timely fashion
- Source, structure, and recommend investments by formulating a proposal, confirming opportunity through due diligence, drafting well-articulated alignments and authorization write-ups, and managing the deal closing
- Review and assess proposals for IP-rich companies seeking BDC’s participation in the form of debt or equity (or a combination thereof) and provide valuable input to team reviews
- Timely and transparent amendments as required (including approval of vetoes and other s/h related matters, if applicable)
- Provide advice and guide management of clients towards an efficient exit process to maximize BDC’s return on investment, while respecting the broader BDC mandate
- Ensure that advisory services resources are available to help IP-rich companies, such as to assist them with commercialization and increasing their revenues
- Provide robust, ongoing investment monitoring and sound portfolio administration/risk management of accounts to comply with BDC practices
- Timely and thorough updating of quarterly/annual account updates
- Properly tracking identified client’s milestone/post-closing plan achievement
- Do you have a strong interest or experience in the areas of information and communication technology, health and life sciences or advanced manufacturing/materials?
- Do you have strong analytical, risk assessment and financial modelling skills?
- Are you strong in business development and focused on results, with proven negotiating and deal structuring/making skills?
- Do you have the ability to negotiate legal documents and manage legal counsel?
- Are you able to build trust and influence in your business relations? Do your clients remember you because of your good advice and your ability to collaborate?
- Are you comfortable communicating in English and French, written and spoken?
Qualification & Experience:
- Do you have a bachelor’s degree in finance or a related field, or even better, a professional qualification?
- Do you have more than 7 years of experience in transaction-focused roles, corporate finance, investment banking, insurance, debt and/or equity financings to small and medium-sized knowledge-based companies?
Vacancy Type: Full Time
Job Functions: Education
Job Location: Vancouver, CA
Application Deadline: N/A