Website Univision Communications
Univision Bay Area is seeking an experienced News Assignment Desk/Newswriter. The Assignment Desk/Newswriter is a combined position, which requires working directly with all news staff.
- The position also has responsibility for all aspects of the news gathering process, creates daily rundown of stories, coordinates the news coverage, conducts morning and afternoon meetings with news staff to discuss daily coverage; arranges interviews, acts as liaison with other news organizations, community contacts and UTG assignment desks.
- The Assignment Desk maintains constant beat checks to monitor wires, scanners and works the phones to cover news.
- This position will also conduct News Producer functions such as writing for the newscast on-air product and social media platforms on an as-needed basis.
- Newswriter duties include: translating English to Spanish, choosing and editing soundbites, reviewing video, reading, summarizing text into accurate, impactful, conversational news information; reading wire copy, research information, translate pictures and words into a general understanding of the topic for viewers.
- Must have the ability to work a flexible schedule including nights, weekends and holidays.
- Other duties as deemed necessary.
- Knowledge of news gathering equipment, familiarity with editing equipment.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Word, Excel, and Outlook required.
- Proof reads rundown and copy for accuracy prior to going on the air.
- Position works together and collaboratively with the Assignment Editor as liaison between Producer, Photographers, and Reporters in the field.
- Must have the ability and flexibility to work well under pressure in a very fast paced, deadline driven environment.
Qualification & Experience:
- Must be willing to work from office in San Jose, CA.
- Employment/education will be verified
- Must have unrestricted authorization to work in the United States
- This position is represented by NABET (Nat’l Assn. of Broadcast Employees & Technicians).
- Two years’ experience as a Writer in Spanish language in a Television News environment.
- Must have excellent command of Spanish language, both written and spoken.
- Must have the ability to work well and collaboratively with all station personnel.
Company: Univision Communications
Vacancy Type: Full Time
Job Location: San Jose, CA, US
Application Deadline: N/A